Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Cursed Organic Banana

Untitled design-2

If you've ever purchased an organic bunch of bananas, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. One day they are green, then there this ONE day window when they are perfect, then they are a mushy, brown mess for the next week. I've tried buying less bananas, but that leaves me frustrated with not having enough! So in the interest of not wasting them or defaulting back to conventional bananas, I've attempted to use all those bananas in that brief windows when they are fresh and ripe.

Andrew makes a lot of PB Chocolate Banana smoothies, and he prefers to use them fresh. But I prefer to chop each banana, store in separate containers (they stick together otherwise), and have them ready to use for my next smoothie! This also has the added benefit of keeping the smoothie colder and improving the consistency.

banana bread

Of course, when your bananas go all brown and mushy, that's the perfect time to make banana bread. One of my FAVORITE recipes is from the PPK. It's really sweet, PLUS I add chocolate chips which only makes it sweeter. But that's how I like my banana bread! You should definitely try this recipe to cure your old, organic banana blues.

Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats

My favorite thing to do, though, is make dog treats. You can always go with the classic banana chip. Or, you could slice, top with peanut butter & cinnamon, and make adorable frozen pup treats! Buying dog treats can be pretty expensive, especially if you have 3 dogs like us. This is an easy way to cut costs using things we have on-hand. Our dogs are OBSESSED with all things peanut butter and they love to eat bananas, so this treat is a no-brainer for them. Plus, bananas have carbohydrates to give your pup energy and nutrients to help keep their coats shiny & beautiful. Georgia Peaches loves these so much, she literally spit out another treat she had ALREADY IN HER MOUTH when I had one of these in my hand. They have the uber dog stamp of approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment