Friday, June 27, 2014

Lemon Thyme Vegetable Hash

Untitled design-6

My mother-in-law has been talking about green bean delivery for what seems like years now. My husband's aunt (who I loved dearly) in an attempt to get more veggies into her diet when she first got sick, started using this strange service back in 2009. And I think it worked for the most part. It's certainly easier to eat what's already in front of you. I don't think it was too popular at that point, but now, several years later, I can't seem to avoid green bean delivery.

So I signed up! While I think the cost of the vegetables is quite a bit more than you'd pay for conventional at the grocery store, the quality of these local, organic fruits and vegetables is absolutely on point. You can taste the difference.

Each week your able to customize your box with different fruits and vegetables, but somehow I let zucchini into my basket. Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan. Now facing two giant zucchinis in my refrigerator, I had to make something with them.

I find that a vegetable hash is a good way to sneak in more variety without force feeding yourself things you don't like. Lemon & thyme are a classic combination that gives this dish a light freshness perfect for a summer bbq or a FIFA World Cup viewing party. I purchased all the vegetables from green bean delivery, and the quality of this dish was fantastic.


Lemon Thyme Vegetable Hash
Serves 2-4, pending appetite assessment  

1 giant zucchini
2 medium sized yukon gold potatoes 
1 shallot
1 tsp garlic, minced
3-4 sprigs of thyme
juice of 1/4 of a lemon
2 tbsp olive oil 
Salt & pepper to taste
Optional: tofutti sour cream on the side

* Chop your potatoes into very small cubes. Chop your zucchini into thick slices and then quarter the slices. Mince or finely chop your shallot. 
* Heat your olive oil in a skillet with a little salt on medium heat. When heated, add your potatoes and shallots and cover. Allow your potatoes to cook and soften for about 10-15 minutes. Check your temperature and lower the heat if they brown too much. 
* When the potatoes are just about done and your shallots have softened, add your zucchini, sprigs of thyme tied together, and garlic. Toss around and cook covered for about 5 minutes or until your zucchini is tender and bright green. 
* Last, remove skillet from heat and add your lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Remove your thyme sprig bundle and serve with a side of tofutti sour cream.


Vegetable Hash

No comments:

Post a Comment