Tuesday, June 10, 2014

An Ode to Avocado - Authentic Guacamole

Pit and guac


My older sister used to do this weird thing when we were growing up. She'd slice open an avocado, salt it, and eat it with a spoon. She loved them so much, in their pure and simple form, that she could just bust it open and eat it. I don't think people do that enough with their food, or realize what the component parts of their meals taste like. Sometimes I watch reality shows (ok a lot of times I watch them), and Gordon Ramsey will blindfold chefs, feed them something, and be like - "What are you eating?" And it's something really common, like pineapple, and they'll say something ridiculous like "Mahi-mahi?" And Chef Ramsey will look super disappointed and make them feel bad. And he SHOULD! Pineapple doesn't taste anything like mahi-mahi.

But I digress. Point being - avocado is freaking delicious. You should eat it by itself sometimes. My sister was onto something.

And if not, here's a sweet guacamole recipe to make at home. Because at the very least, you should know what goes into a good guac and for the love of god, know how to slice one properly (hint: you do not peel the avocado!).

My first essential ingredient is cilantro. A lot of people hate cilantro, and I think that's really weird. Avocado and cilantro are like a PB&J to me. It's such a necessary combination. If you make guacamole and don't include the cilantro, it just tastes off. If you're one of those weirdos - 1, I'm sorry and 2, don't include them in your guacamole recipe. From there my essential list is, going for most to least essential, lime juice, salt, jalapeños, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and spices. 

Guac ingredients

My "Keepin' It Fresh Tips":
  1. KEEP THE PIT! If you put the pits in the container you store your guacamole, it keeps your guac from browning.
  2. Get as much air out of your contain as possible. Sometimes I store them in ziplock bags, zip it shut until there's just a little hole, and suck the air out like a little vacuum sealer. It's weird but it works.
  3. Cover in a layer of lime juice to seal out air and keep from browning.
  4. If you're making a lot, after putting it in your Tupperware, drop it on the counter a few times, or heck, even hit it. That gets those pesky air bubbles out and prevents sneaky brown spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment